Controlling air pollution
2NO + 2CO -----> N2 + 2CO2
- As CO and NO gas molecules diffuse over the catalyic surface. Some molecules are absorbed onto the metal surface.
- This weakens the bonds and lowers activation energy
- Then after the reaction, the CO2 and N2 products are desorbed from the surface and diffuse away from the catalyic surface.
1 of 2
Solutions to the greenhouse effect
Carbon Capture and Storage
Methods of CCS include:
- Storage in geological formation such as underground porus rocks and old gas and oil fields
- Reaction with metal oxides to form carbonates. Eg -
CaO + CO2 ------> MgCO2
Problems - Very slow reaction
2 of 2