- Created by: Jonathan Barrett
- Created on: 16-05-12 08:37
Why are human rights important for Christians?
- The Right to life is a Basic christian belief because of the belief in sanctity of life.
- Christians believe that all people are made in the image of God and so all should have the same human rights
- Freedom of thought, conscience and religion, etc. are all an essential part of being a Christian. (rights are required to be a Christian)
- Human rights are important for justice, Christians believe in justice.
1 of 7
How do Christian make moral decisions?
- The Bible- they believe that God speaks through the Bible, and Jesus records teachings (on moral behaviour)
- The Church- Church leaders can interpret the Bible for today. For Roman Catholics the Church is the final authority.
- Conscience- Many Christians believe that God speaks to them via there conscience
- Situation Ethics- The idea that decisions should be made by what is the most loving thing to do. (love your neighbour)
2 of 7
What problems are there that some rights can cause
- Many Christians are against the right to form civil Partnerships, because they believe that Homosexuality is against God
- some Christians are against the right for Christian people to marry into a different religion. they believe that Christians should have children and raise them as Christians.
- Some Christians are against the right of homosexuals to raise a family. They believe that children should only be brought up by a Mother and a Farther.
- If a woman requested equal rights in a religion. e.g. A woman wanting to be a catholic priest.
3 of 7
What are the Christian teachings on moral duties a
- The Golden Rule- which says that Christians should treat other people in the way that you would want to be treated by them
- The Parable of the sheep and the Goats- Which says that Christians should help the homeless, the sick and the Hungry
- A I my brothers keeper? the story of Cain and Able, where Cain killed Able and was punished by God by having a mark put upon his forehead telling everyone that he was a killer. this tells us the God intended us to be our brothers keeper, and that we should be responsible for the rights of others
4 of 7
Why do liberal Protestants support Genetic enginee
- Jesus said that Christians should do all they can to cure diseases.
- Finding Genetic cures is no different than finding drug cures.
- there is no difference between creating cells and creating people
- Embryos are not foetuses until they are 14 days old.
5 of 7
Why do some Christians only agree with Genetic res
Embryos are killed
- Life begins at the moment of conception, whether it be a test tube life, killing is still wrong
- The killing of an embryo is the same as killing a human which is a great sin
- 5th commandment not to kill
- Embryos have been produced by Un-Christian means
6 of 7
Some Christians are against all genetic research b
- They believe that God creates the genetic make-up of each person at conception and people have no right to inter fear with this.
- It is trying to play God which is a great sin
- it is wrong to make earth perfect; only heaven is perfect
7 of 7