- Generate electricity from light.
- Generate direct current. (DC)
- Mains electricity- keeps switching direction.
- Flows same way around circuit the whole time. (DC)
- Sun is at the center.
- All planets orbit the sun.
- Doesn't produce CO2
- Steam works the generator.
- Fuel leaks- waste- expense
- Difficult and dangerous to dispose.
- Makes lots of energy- more energy than chemical reactions.
- Long time to start up.
- Uranium- atoms split into two- releases heat energy.
- No mass, no charge
- Stopped by lead or thick concreate.
- Penetrate a long way.
- EM Radiation- Kills all living cells- treats cancers
- Can sterilise medical equitment.
- Stopped quickly with paper.
- Big and heavy.
- 2 protons, 2 neutrons.
- Used in smoke detectors- weak source of radiation- smoke absorbs radiation.
- Stopped by a sheet of Aluminium.
- Move fast.
- Electrons- thickness control.
- Small tracers- injected into patients.
Greenhouse Effect Part 1
Gas lets in heat and light. Absorbed by things in the room, heating them up.
Light from sun- short wavelength- so it can pass through glass into a room.
Heated things in room emit radiation of a longer wavelength- can't escape. (infared) Just get reflected back instead.
Keeps heat inside of buildings.
Greenhouse Effect Part 2
- Atmostphere traps HEAT- various gases- filter out some radiation- absorob/ reflect radiation of certain wavelength. (infared)
- Visible light and radio waves pass through the atmostphere.
Greenhouse Effect Part 3
- Earth absorbs SHORT WAVELENGTHS. (EM Radiation) - warms the surface of the Earth up.
- Earth then emits some EM Radiation back into SPACE.
- In turn we cool down.
Earth emmits LONGER LENGTHS of Radiation. (infared) (heat)
Absorbed by CO2, CH4 and Water Vapour.
Greenhouse Effect Part 4
RE- RADIATE heat in different directions back to Earth.
Insulating layer stops the Earth loosing heat at night- Atmostphere.
Humans increase the amount of greenouse gases.
- Electromagnetic induction: The creation of a voltage in a wire which is experiencing a change in a magnetic field.
- Electromagnetic induction to transform kinetic energy (moving things) into electrical energy- powerstation turbine.
- EM= Electromagnetic
1) Electrical conductor - Coil of wire usually moves around a magnetic field.
2) Magnetic Field through a electrical conductor changes.
Dynamo Effect Part 2
(Gets bigger, smaller or reverses)
If the direction is reversed then so is the voltage/ current.
Want a BIGGER VOLTAGE/ CURRENT then INCREASE:
1) Strength of the MAGNET.
2) The amount of turns on the COIL.
3) The SPEED. (of movement)
Electrons - Energy - Flows around ciruit.
Made of silicon (photocells)
SILICON ATOMS absorb energy.
Some electrons come loose- Renewable energy
No Sunlight, No Power
HEAT and LIGHT!
Some is stored as fossil fuels.
Sun heats the air- hot air rises, cold air comes in to take it's place.