Why were they protesting? / Violent Intent?
* wanted parlimentary reform - annual parliments, MPs paid, Universal suffrage (for men) and secret ballots.
*Women and Children
*Sung National Anthem
Numbers: est. 30000-153000 people
12 people died: of which 60% (7) can be attributed to soldiers.
The other 40% of deaths were caused by trampling - horses/panic of the crowd?
Death of a SC shows panic and chaos - trampled/sabred - soldiers killed 'one of their own'
*Term 'Peterloo' - reference to the Battle of Waterloo, a great victory, compared to the massacre of innocent civilians.
* Six Acts:
- No unofficial military training
- Magistraites can search homes for arms
- Policital meetings only held with mag. permission.
- More tax on newspapers
- Suppress seditious publications
- Faster trials
*Not as harsh as other European countries.
*Some only temp.
*Not enough police to enforce.