- Created by: loladoherty19
- Created on: 28-03-16 19:23
- In 2007, 8/10 rainfalls in Guangzhou (and 45% in the province) were classified as acid rain due to a high concentration of factories and a growing number of cars.
- Half of the waste water in the urban areas of Guangdong is not treated before being dumped in rivers.
Almost all urban areas have reduced vegetation cover (DEFORESTATION) This has resulted in serious erosion of land.
The Environmental Protection Bureau classifies the environmental situation as ‘severe’.
The green house gases being emitted contribute to global warming and climate change which causes alteration in eco systems and habitats.
WHAT IS BEING DONE TO HELP?
- The government is spending $7.1 billion to help clean up the river by building 30 new sewage works and more.
- Pearl river delta management plan aims to reduce sulphur dioxide emissions from power plants by 40% via using natural gas INSTEAD OF COAL.
- GUANOZHA has started a clean up and are improving pipe net works and treating water.