Key features of the Baroque era
The Baroque era-1600-1750
- Establishment of a key (major/minor)
- Use of the different textures (**** phonic, polyphonic, monophonic)
- The baroque orchestra
- Ornamented melody line e.g. appoggiaturas, and acciaccaturas
- Diatonic chords- chords, literally belonging to the key
- Basso continuo- a continuous bass, you can see in the score that there are many crochets in the bass line
- Terraced dynamics (changing dynamics)
- Prevalence of an affection or mood (in this case the mood is praise and glorification)
1 of 2
The four key ideas
1) "And the glory the glory of the Lord"
- This stars with a three note triad
- Ends with a sequenced scale
2)"Shall be revealed"
- two one bar sequences
- more than one note per syllable
3) "And the flesh shall see it together"
- Repetition, creating a firm statement
4) "For the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it"
- Plagal cadence (sounds like amen), "spoken it"
- Long minims- again, firm statement
2 of 2