to reduce the risk. pre eruption
- blocked off roads
- restricted access
After the eruption. recovery
- water in Spirit lake was found to contain a disease, so stopped use and monitored water
- risk of mudflows and flood, so they pumped water away from Spirit lake while a outlet tunnel was created to maintain the Lake at a safe level
- also to decrease risk of mudflows and flood, sediment dams created on Toutle River, however soon river filled with sediment so river had to be dredged
- Many Lakes restocked with fish, to restore popular recreational fisheries
1 of 2
- popular attraction, St Helens monument made. attracts tourist to the area
- recreation opportunities
- one business took some of the huge amounts of ash produced to make "genuine Mt St Helens ash trays"
- digger companies etc. get money to dig out ash.
- builders get work to rebuild houses, roads, bridges
- destroyed around 250 homes, insurance companies, huge economic and social impact
- killed 61 people
- transport such as roads near the area were destroyed.
- tribes had to leave their home and traditional way of life
- jobs lost, loggers worked there can't anymore due to the 156 acres of trees being blown over and burnt
2 of 2