- Acronym- a word or sentence which is made from the original letters/ words to be remembered e.g. 'richard of york gave battle in vein' to remember colours of the rainbow.
- Chunking- deviding a lot of information into small more memorable chunks e.g. a telephone number is easier to remember if you think of digits in threes or pairs.
1 of 3
- Method of loci- using a day- to- day activity to create links between info that needs to be remembered e.g. the activity of getting dressed in the morning helping with remembering a shopping list: putting on socks = apples, putting on a top = bread etc.
- Visual imagery e.g. mind maps
2 of 3
- Craik and Tulving - found that providing a meaning will improve memory.
- Research into memory improvement stratergies is externally valid as it coincides with research that supports the memory models (MSM and WMM); the verbal techniques help improve STM as the encoding for STM is acoustic/ echoic and the visual techniques help improve LTM as the encoding for LTM is semantic.
- High in mundane realism.
3 of 3