Preaching of John the Baptist
- 'This is the Good News about Jesus Christ, the Son of God.' It began as the prophet Isaiah had written: "God said, 'I will send my messenger ahead of you to clear the way for you.'
- Someone is shouting in the desert, 'Get the road ready for the Lord; make a straight path for him to travel!
- John appeared in the desert, baptizing and preaching. ' turn away from your sins and be baptized, and God will forgive your sins.'
- People confessed their sins, and he baptized them in the river Jordan.
- John wore clothes made of camel's hair, with a leather belt round his waist, and ate locusts and wild honey.
- He announced to the people, 'the man who will come after me is much greater than I am. I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.
1 of 19
The Baptism and Temptation of Jesus
- Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptised by John in the Jordan.
- Jesus came up out of the water, he saw Heaven opening.
- The spirit coming down on him like a dove --> Holy Spirit
- A voice came from heaven --> God
- You are my own dear son. I am pleased with you. --> Jesus 'Son of God'
- The spirit made him go into the desert, where he spent 40 days.
- Satan and wild animals tried to tempt him. --> How easy is it to resist temptations?
- Angels came and helped him.
2 of 19
Jesus Calls Four Fishermen
- John the Baptist has been put into prison, Jesus went to Galilee and preached the Good News from God.
- Jesus walked along the shore of Lake Galilee, two fishermen, Simon and Andrew were catching fish with a net. Jesus said 'come with me, and I will teach you to catch people.' At once they left their nets and went with him.
- James and John, the sons of Zebedee, were in their boats getting the nets ready. Jesus saw them, he called them; they left their father Zebedee in the boat.
3 of 19
Jesus Heals a Man
- A man suffering from a dreaded skin disease (leprosy) came to Jesus and begged 'If you want to,' he said, 'you can make me clean.'
- Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him 'I do want to,' he answered. 'Be clean!'
- At once the disease left the man, and he was clean.
- Jesus tells the man to keep this a secret. And go straight to priest and let him examine you.
- But the man went away and began to spread the news everywhere.
4 of 19
Jesus Heals a Paralysed Man
- Jesus was in a house, when four men arrived, carrying a paralysed man to him.
- They cannot reach Jesus, so they lowered the man through a hole in the roof to where Jesus was.
- Jesus said 'My son, your sins are forgiven.' Teachers of the Law are annoyed, 'this is blasphemy! God is the only one who can forgive sins!'
- Jesus asks which is easier, 'to forgive sins or cure a man?'
- He tells the man to pick up his mat and go home. The man got up, picked up his mat and hurried away.
5 of 19
Jesus Calls Levi
- Jesus went back to the shore of Lake Galilee.
- He saw a tax collector called Levi, sitting in his office. Jesus said to him 'Follow him.' Levi got up and followed him.
- Jesus was having a meal in Levi's house with the other outcasts and tax collectors.
- The Pharisees said, 'why does he eat with such people?'
- Jesus answered 'People who are well, do not need a doctor, but only those who are sick. I have not come to call respectable people, but outcasts.'
6 of 19
The Man with the Paralysed Hand
- Jesus was in the synagogue (on the sabbath), where there was a man with a paralysed man.
- People watched closely to see if he would heal the man on the Sabbath.
- Jesus calls the man up and asks, 'What does the law allow us to do on the Sabbath? To help or to harm? To save a man's life or to destroy it?'
- Jesus was angry but felt sorry for the people, as they were so stubborn and wrong.
- Jesus then healed the man by asking the man to stretch out his arm and he became well again.
- The Pharisees left the synagogue and met with the members of Herod's party, and they made plans to kill Jesus
7 of 19
The Parable of the Sower
- Jesus told this parable to the crowd by the lake.
- There was a man who went out to sow corn and he scattered the seed in the field.
- Some of the seed fell along the path, and the bird came and ate it up.
- Some of it fell on the rocky ground, where there was little soil. when the sun came up, it burnt the plants as the roots had not grown deep enough.
- Some of the seed fell in the thorn bushes, which grew and choked the plants.
- But some of the seed fell in the good soil, and the plants sprouted, grew and produced corn: some had thirty grains, others sixty. and others a hundred.
8 of 19
Jesus explains the Parable of the Sower
- Corn - message of God
- Birds - Satan taking the message away.
- Seed on the path - people hear the message, but Satan comes and takes it away quickly.
- Seed on the rocky ground - some people accept the message, but it doesn't get deep enough. When trouble or persecution comes, they give up.
- Seed in the thorn bushes - hear the message, but our desires and temptations choke the message away.
- Seed in the good soil - hear the message and spread the message to other people.
9 of 19
Parable of The Mustard Seed
- 'What shall we say the Kingdom of God is like?' asked Jesus.
- Jesus said, 'A man takes a mustard seed the smallest seed in the world, and plants it in the ground'
- After a while, it grows and becomes the becomes the biggest tree.
- Jesus preached this message.
10 of 19
Jesus calms a storm
- On the evening, Jesus said to his disciples, 'let us go across to the other side of the lake.'
- So Jesus and his disciples left the crowd, got in the boat and went across the lake.
- Suddenly, a strong wind blew up, and the waves began to spill into the boat.
- Jesus was sleeping on a pillow on the boat and a disciple woke him up and said 'Teacher don't you care that we are about to die.'
- Jesus stood up and said 'Be quiet!' and he said to the waves, 'Be still!'
- The wind died down and Jesus said to his disciples 'Why are you frightened?Have you still no faith?'
11 of 19
- Jairus begs Jesus to heal his daughter by laying his hands on her but then a messenger comes to say the girl is dead.
- Jesus goes with Peter, James and John to Jairus’ house saying, ‘Don’t be afraid; only believe.’
- When he arrives he asks why everyone is weeping.
- He says the child is not dead, only sleeping.
- He goes to her and, taking her hand, tells her to ‘get up little girl’ (‘Talitha Klum’).
- He then says she should be given something to eat.
- He gives strict orders that no one should be told what has happened.
12 of 19
The woman who touched Jesus's cloak
- There was a woman who had suffered terribly from severe bleeding for twelve years.
- The woman touched Jesus' cloak and was healed at once.
- Jesus felt his power leave him. He said 'Who touched my clothes?'
- The woman came forward, trembling, knelt at his feet and told him the truth.
- Jesus said to her 'My daughter, your faith has made you well. go in peace, and be healed of your trouble.'
13 of 19
Jesus sends out the twelve disciples
- Jesus went to the villages, teaching people.
- He called the twelve disciples together and sent them out two by two, and gave them authority over the evil spirits.
- He ordered them 'Don't take anything with you on your journey except a stick' -- no bread,beggar's bag, money in your pockets. wear sandals, but don't carry an extra shirt.
- He also said 'where ever welcome, stay in that same house until you leave. if not welcomed, leave it and shake the dust off your feet. that will be a warning to them!'
- The disciples went out and preached that people should turn away from their sins.
14 of 19
Jesus feeds a Great Crowd (5,000)
- The crowd arrived ahead of Jesus and his disciples, on land.
- Jesus was filled with pity fromthem, because they were like sheep without a shepherd.
- Jesus asked his disciples to find something to eat for the disciples. they found five loaves and also two fish.
- He order the people to sit into group/rows.
- Jesus took the food, and looked up to heaven and thanked God.
- The disciples gave the food out and everyone ate and had enough. There was still food left in the baskets.
15 of 19
A Woman's faith
- A woman came to Jesus and told him her daughter had an evil spirit.
- She begged Jesus to drive out the demon and Jesus said, ‘Let us first feed the children. it isn't right to take the children's and throw it to the dogs.’
- she said 'even the dogs under the table eat the children's leftovers.'
- Jesus said 'because of that answer, go back home, where you will find that the demon has gone out of your daughter!'
- The demon had indeed gone out of her.
16 of 19
Peter's Declaration about Jesus
- Jesus and his disciples went to the villages.
- On the way, he asked them, 'Tell me, who do people say I am?'
- They replied 'Some say you are John the Baptist, others say that you are Elijah, while others say that you are one of the prophets.'
- Jesus asked Peter what he thought he was.
- Peter answered, ''You are the Messiah.''
- Jesus order them not to tell anyone.
17 of 19
Jesus speaks about his suffering and death
- Jesus began to teach his disciples 'the son of man must suffer much and be rejected. he will be put to death, but three days later he will rise to life.'
- so peter took him aside and began to rebuke him.
- Jesus rebuked Peter 'Get way from me, satan. Your thoughts don't come from God but from human nature.'
- Jesus told to the Crowd and his disciples 'If anyone wants to come with me. he must forget self, carry his cross, and follow me.'
- 'For whoever wants to save his own life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for me and for the Gospel will save it.'
18 of 19
- After six days Jesus took Peter, James and John with him and led them up a high mountain, where they were all alone.
- Suddenly, Jesus' clothes shining white, whiter than anyone in the world could wash them.
- The three disciples saw Elijah and Moses talking with Jesus.
- Peter spoke up and said 'Teacher, how good it is that we are here! We will make three tents, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.'
- A cloud and appeared and a voice came from the cloud, 'This is my own dear Son - listen to him.' The disciples turned around and only saw Jesus.
- Jesus ordered them 'Don't tell anyone what you have seen, until the Son of Man has risen from death.'
19 of 19