- Midsumemr Nights Dream - 1590
- Romeo and Juliet - 1597
- Hamlet - 1599
- Othello - 1603
- Macbeth - 1599
He wrote Plays in the Elizabethan and Jacobean Eras
Best known for his tradgedies and comedies
His earlier plays were mainly histories and comedies such as 'Henry VI', 'Titus Andronicus', 'A Midsummer Night's Dream', 'The Merchant of Venice' and 'Richard II'. The tragedy, 'Romeo and Juliet', was also published in this period. By the last years of Elizabeth I's reign Shakespeare was well established as a famous poet and playwright and was called upon to perform several of his plays before the Queen at court. In 1598 the author Francis Meres described Shakespeare as England’s greatest writer in comedy and tragedy.
Wrote Poems in the Victorian era
- My Last Duchess
In 1846 Browning married the older poet Elizabeth Barrett, who at the time was considerably better known than himself. So started one of history's most famous literary marriages. They went to live in Italy, a country he called 'my university,' and which features frequently in his work. By the time of her death in 1861, he had published the crucial collection Men and Women. The collection Dramatis Personae and the book-length epic poemThe Ring and the Book followed, and made him a leading British poet. He continued to write prolifically, but today it is largely the poetry he had written in this middle period on which his reputation rests.
When Browning died in 1889, he was regarded as a sage and philosopher-poet who through his poetry had made contributions to Victorian social and political discourse – as in the poem Caliban upon Setebos, which some critics have seen as a comment on the recent theory of evolution.
Carol Ann Duffy
Post Modernist poet
Known most faously for 'The Worlds Wife' poetry anthology
- 1996: Stopping for Death. Viking (poetry anthology)
- 1997: More Grimm Tales. Faber and Faber (children's play)
- 1998: The Pamphlet. Anvil Press Poetry (poetry)
- 1999: Meeting Midnight. Faber and Faber (children's poetry)
- 1999: The World's Wife Anvil Press Poetry (poetry)
- 1999: Time's Tidings: Greeting the 21st Century. (Ed.) Anvil Press Poetry (poetry anthology)
- 2000: The Oldest Girl in the World. Faber and Faber (children's poetry)
- 2001: Hand in Hand: An Anthology of Love Poems. (Ed.) Picador (poetry anthology)
- 2002: Feminine Gospels. Picador