Robin Lakoff- Deficit
wrote a book called 'Language and womans place' and made assumptions that women use:
- Hedges E.g. "it seems like"
- Super polite form
- use empty adjectives E.g. divine, lovely, adorable
- use indirect commands/requests E.g. "isnt it cold in here" really requesting that the windows get shut.
- lack of sense of humour
- use more intensifiers E.g. "im SO glad you came"
- tag questions e.g. "you're going to dinner, arent you?"
AND MANY MORE.
Dominance- Zimmerman & West
Zimmerman & West undertook a university campus study about language in mixed gender conversations.
They report that in 11 conversations between men & women, men used 46 interruptions, but women only 2. showing men try to DOMINATE more.
Tannen suggests that men and womens language contrasts.
- Men: INDEPENDENCE. Women: INTIMACY
- Men: ADVICE. Women: UNDERSTANDING
- Men: INFORMATION. Women: FEELINGS
- Men: ORDERS. Women: PROPOSALS
- Men: CONFLICT. Women: COMPROMISE
- Men: STATUS. Women: SUPPORT