- Created by: Chloe Marie P
- Created on: 16-02-15 08:45
What was the Kapp Putsch (1920)?
- PUTSCH= A VIOLENT ATTEMPT TO OVERTHROW THE GOVERNMENT
- Bloodthirsty ex-soldiers who had recently come home from the Great War.
- Blamed government for losing the war.
- Right-Wing conservative organisation
- They hated the Spartacus League because they blamed them for stirring up trouble in Germany towards the end of the war.
- Did not like the Treaty of Versailles, many had been forced to leave the army.
- This trouble was the major reason for Germany's defeat.
- Helped President Ebert put down Spartacist Uprising (1919)
Due to Germans hating the Treaty of Versailles it posed a great threat on the Weimar Republic.
1 of 6
Who was Kapp?
LEADER OF THE FREIKORPS
2 of 6
Why did he stage an Uprising?
- Many Germans resented the Treaty
- The army hated the restrictions placed on it
- Blamed the government for signing the Treaty
- The army was reduced, but many of the soldiers joined the Freikorps
- Did not like Ebert for signing the Treaty
- When the government tried to disband the Freikorps, units led by Wolfgang Kapp marched into Berlin and declared a new national government.
- Because the Allies told them that they haven't done enough to get the amount of men in the army down to 100,000.
- Ebert's government had returned to Berlin after its successes in the first elections, but now was forced to flee to Dresden.
- Aims: establish strong leadership and opposed Versailles.
3 of 6
Reasons for Failure
- Lack of leadership- General Ludendorff supported Kapp, but other army leaders did not.
- Putsch centred on Berlin- didn't spread to rest of Germany.
- Weimar Government continued- able to relocate to Dresden.
- People tired of revolution- Spartacist uprising occured 1919.
- General Strike.
4 of 6
Similarities between Spartacists and Kapp Putsch?
- Led by charmistic, political extremists.
- Disliked government and aimed to overthrow it.
- Centred in Berlin
5 of 6
Differences between Spartacists and Kapp Putsch?
- Spartacists were anti-war, Kapp putsch supported the army
- Kapp was a monarchist, Spartacists wanted a communist revolution.
- Kapp enjoyed support of the Freikorps.
6 of 6
Similar History resources: