What is the difference?
- A hazard is an event with the potential to cause damage to poeple and their property
- A disaster is a hazard but is only referred to this once 10 or more people have been killed and/or over 100 are affected and/or over £1 million of damage has been done (accroding to EM-DAT)
- There are two types of hazard, geophysical an hydro-meterological
- Geophysical include tsunami's, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions as well as avalanches and landslides
- Hydrometerlogical or those caused by weather or the movement of water. These include; wind storms or floods or drought
1 of 1