No variation in pebble size with distance from the distal end of Blakeny Spit, Norfolk
- Longshore drift
- Low energy waves
Primary data collection methods
Pebble size measured in mm length of 3 axis- usine pebbleometre could have used callipers instead but it would have been much slower and less accurate.
This was quantatative data
Ways we avoided bias
- had our back to the quadrat so we couldn't see the pebble that we were going to choose.
- we threw the quadrat down and measured 30m from the sea once we had walked our 500m
Problems with primary data collection
- grid 2mm on pebbleometre
- tide going out during the survey
- lack of accuracy with very small pebbles
- unable to measure the sand which was in the quadrat
How we presented our data
Box and whisker plots
Why are they good?
- All survey points can go on one graph
- On a line graph, the (a) axis is misleading
How did we analyse the data?
- spearmans rank- significant relationship between size of pebbles represented by the median measurement and distance from the distal end of the spit (m).
- Has to rank the data.
- There was a positive relationship (99%). 99% confident that it changes, 1% done by chance
previous students fieldwork-help to confirm that the pattern is not always 99%.
- bigger sample size
- reducing significance of anomolies
- 100m tape to measure the distance more accurately instead of pacing
- reduce survey intervals- 250m
- back in winter when the waves are biggest and we would also be able to see if it was seasonal
- compare to a spit somewhere else e.g. Orford Ness, Suffolk
Health and Safety
- take your medication
- food and drink
- safety with getting off the boat
- 2 first aiders
- stayed 30m from waters edge
- suncream and sunhats
Why this location was chosen
- Accessible-National Trust-open access
- Open all year
- Toilets atlifeboat house
- Regular ferry service
- Could leave minibus in the car park
- Secondary data- old maps. Able to see how spit used to look
Qualiative data- based on opinion
Primary data methods- based on observation. We said if it was rounded, sub rounded,well rounded, angular, sub-angular or very angular. We compared it tothe Powers Rounded Index