- Created by: Lauren bond
- Created on: 31-05-11 17:42
LEDC: Sichuan, China, 2008.
- 12th May 2008, 2:28pm.
- Measured 7.9 on the Richter scale.
- Involved the Indian and Eurasian plate.
- Tremors lasted 120 seconds.
- Death toll was 8,700 but rose to 55,000 11 days later.
- 374,000 injured.
- 5 million made homeless.
- 80% of buildings collapsed.
- Damage only caused $75 million.
- Death toll rose to 69,000 2 months after the earthquake due to the cold, illness and dehydration.
1 of 2
Immediate/short term responses.
- It took 30 hours to access the area, due to poor roads and communication.
- Heavy reliance on aid packages, with donations to the Red Cross in excess of £1 million within two weeks.
- Troops and helicopters were brought in from abroad.
- 3.3 million tents were set up for the homeless.
Long term responses.
- Rebuilding of area which took 3 years.
2 of 2