Ozymandias - About the ruined statue of a powerful leader
- "King of Kings"
-His power is insignificant compared to the efects of time
The river God - Has the power to "drown the fools" - powerful and controlling
- Proud of his power
My last duchess - wanted to control his wife and now controls her portrait
- "none puts by the curtain I have drawn for you, but I"
Give - powerless
The river god - treats dying people like playthings
- thinks the lady is just sleeping - deluded
My last duchess - killed her because of jealousy - "I gave commands"
Brendon Gallacher - when her mum reveals that he doesn't exist he dies
On a Portrait of a deaf Man - Contrasts memories and sadness with the gruesome reality of his death.
- Has lost faith because of the impact of his dads death
Physical damage Casehistory: Alison (head injury) - defined by her injuries - shown by the title
- "Damaged brain"
The hunchback in the park - physical disability makes him different and isolated - a "solitary mister"
- imagines a "woman figure without a fault" - has what he doesn't
Moral damage The ruined maid - moraly "ruined" as she sacrificed her reputation for wealth
Horse Whisperer - reputation is damaged when the villagers begin to associate him with witchcraft.
Singh song! - In love with his new bride
- "made luv like vee rowing throgh putney" - amusing - makes their relationship seem playful and affectionate.
Brendon Gallacher - relationship with imaginary friend
- Innocent - "he would hold my hand"
Les Grands Seigneurs - Her past relationships were romantic and fun - shown by language of courtly love
- This has changed in marriage and she is now a "toy"
Culture and History Checking out me History - his is "carving out" his identity by finding out about his cultural roots.
- The poem contains phonetic creole showing the importance of his culture
Singh song - wife embraces both cultures - "Tartan sari"
- Language is a combination of English and Indian - has adopted both cultures
Change in identity Casehistory: Alison (head injury) - says she "would like to have known" her old self - disconnected from her previous identity
Medusa - Imagines she has been transformed into a mythical monster
Les Grands Seignuers - marriage has changed her identity - she is now a "toy" and a "bit of fluff"
Ozymandias - proud of his power - "king of kings"
My last duchess - proud of his money and title - "my gift of nine hundred years old name"
- also proud of his title as a duke
The river God
The clown Punk