- Description of how someone struggles to give birth and likens it to the struggle to becoem seperate.
- A tug- of- war with the umbilical cord.
- Still a struggle between mother & daughter when she is older & asks to skate for longe
1 of 4
Cold Knap Lake
- A small child watches as her mother pulls a drowned child from a lake & describes how her mother ressusitates her.
- She goes with her father to take the drowned girl back home, here the child is ' thrashed' for almost drowning.
- This could be because her parents where overcoem with worry at hearing this news or that they where angry at her for putting herself in danger
2 of 4
The song of the old mother
- Describes how parents work hard all their lives for their children, but the children never appreciate this.
- They only have to worry about the luxories of life, e.g how they look
3 of 4
The affliction of Margaret
- Describes how parents will never stop worrying about their children
- They want to know whats happening to them even if it is bad
- It's better to know that somethign bad has happened to your child than sitting around and wondering
4 of 4