- Although Paddy remains 10 years old throughout the book, he undergoes a transformation from innocent, naive child to acting as the man of the house.
- the set pieces capture the innocence of Paddy and transport the reader back to thier own childhood.
- Paddys role as the eldestchild in the family is important to him, gets special priviledges.
- Hates his brother at the begining but grows more sentimental towards him, realises his role as the eldest.
- At the begining he is very inocent - Father Damien, Jelly Fish, Gorege Best.
- Later on his innocence is affected by growing awareness of his family conflict, his confusement is clear when he hears the smack.
- Relationships with friends darker too, beginns to resent Kevin, becomes fascinated with Charles.
1 of 1
Similar English Literature resources: