- The belief that each act is intrinsically wrong or right, despite the consequences that lead from it.
- The belief that the rightness or wrongness of a action is determined by its consequences.
- Utilitarianism is a branch of Consequentialism.
The principle of Utility
The greatest amount of pleasure for the greatest number of people.
This is the main principle of utilitarianism. This is associated with the founder of utilitarianism, Jeremy Bentham.
- The founder of Utilitarianism.
- Associated with particularly Act utlitarianim.
- He believed good was the maximisation of pleasure, and the minimisation of pain.
- Derived the theory of hedonism. From this, he created the hedonic calculus.