Contract Law, Tort Law and Family Law
- Contract law- phone bills being wrongly charged, holiday company not giving you what you signed and paid for, buying a car that has faulty issues.
- Tort law- neglegence to children safety, newspaper article falsely printing stories.
- Family law- custody of children, dividing posessions between people through a divorce.
Those who bring cases to court are called a claimant. This is when people claim against a company/Individual. These take place in the County or High court.
Criminal law- what types of cases and which courts
Types of cases that can appear in criminal courts are: Murder, theft, arson, assault and battery, manslaughter and gross neglegence.
GBH with intention is the most extreme from of grevious bodily harm. Plain GBH is when someone loses it for a split second and reacts violently.
Fraud- property crime/ Accounting fraud-lying about profits to investors.
Criminal law cases go to the Crown and Magistrates court.
House of Commons and House of Lords
House of Commons
- Elect members
- Citizens in the UK with a british passport
- Those with a mental illness are not allowed
- Most people in the House of Commons will become Lords
House of Lords
- Need a title ( lord, lady, baron, baroness)
- Usually through their family name and background
- They have the highest authority in terms of legal cases
- Create, change and remove laws
- check the work of the government
- Rougly 100 members fo the political party
- MP's- Liberal democrats and conservatives ( coalition)
The Pre-Legislative procedure
Green papers - A document on what the government want and all the views are put forward
White papers- following this the government will procede to publish a white paper whith the final proposal for the new law.
Green paper- Rough draft / White paper - formal consultation