Christian Attitudes to Euthanasia
Many Christians do not accept euthanasia.
Why some Christians think it's wrong:-
- It goes against the sanctity of life argument
- It is seen as murder because it takes away the life of a human
- Only God has the right to take away life
- Euthanasia could be used for evil purposes
- No person should value themselves as so worthless that it would be better to die
- No one should be able to make a judgement about the value of another person's life
- Doctors or relatives may make the decision without involving the patient
- Life should be valued, even when someone is in pain
Some Christians are more accepting of euthanasia, and believe that God intends people to have a good quality of life. Some might argue that euthanasia in this case is the lesser of two evils.
Hopices: provide good quality pain relief, support the dying and their families, and help the dying prepare for death