Give an example of a development on the rural-urba
- It is an out-of-town regional shopping centre
- It is in a high access location within London's rural-urban fringe.
- It was built in a disused chalk quarry
- It places a lot of pressure on the rural-urban fringe and this part of Kent is a lot more urbanised and congested than it used to be.
1 of 7
Give an example of a suburbanised village:
- It lies on the edge of the rural-urban fringe between Oxford and London.
- The population has risen to over 11 thousand.
2 of 7
What are the reasons for this growth?
- Close to M40, good access to London
- A-road access to Oxford
- Mainline railway stations accessible nearby
- Nearby towns provide a range of local services
- New job opportunities
- Outside greenbelt so no limit to development
3 of 7
What are the typical suburban residents like?
- They are highly mobile
- Work in professions or in management
- Have lived there for less than 10 years.
4 of 7
Give an example of commercial UK farming:
- It is well known for cereal crops, growing more than a quarter of England's wheat and barley
- Sugar beat and potatoes are also mass produced in this region
- Peas, beans, salad crops, strawberries, other fruits and flowers are also cultivated.
- Mainly pig and poultry
- 2.2 million eggs and 25% of chickens consumed weekly are from this region
- Mainly indoors, under intensive systems
5 of 7
What physical and human factors affect farming in
- The climate is ideal for intensive arable farming
- Low rainfall and warm summers.
- Large farming machinery used
- Farms often share expensive equipment
- Chemicals are sometimes used by company owned farms
6 of 7
Give an example of a tropical farming area:
Kenya, East Africa
- Kenya produces flowers as a cash crop
- It has a good climate for flower growing but most roses are grown in greenhouses to protect them.
- They are grown near the rift valley lakes as they are a good source of water
- It employs tens of thousands of workers but often on low wages
- Sometimes benefits are given to workers such as free education for their children, and free housing.
7 of 7