The Nature of GOD
- One God (Monotheism).
- Shown in three ways.
- This is the Trinity:
- God the Father
- God the Son
- God the Holy Spirit
- There is only one substance (God) but three persons (Father,Son and Holy Spirit).
- Fatherhood, Power and Creativity=Father
- Presence=Holy spirit
- Catechism calls the Trinity the mystery of God
1 of 10
GOD the Father
- God the Father is the creator of everything.
- The Father is Holy.
- God the Father will provide food and forgiveness for those who pray and live a good life.
- He will deliver us from evil.
- He is all powerfull.
- Some Christians belive that God Created the universe in 6 days:
- Day 1:The light to separate the day from night.
- Day 2:The sky to separate the waters.
- Day 3: Dry land and seas, vegetation.
- Day 4: Sun, Moon and Stars.
- Day 5: Fish and Birds.
- Day 6: Animals, insects and humans.
- Day 7: God rested and declared the seventh day holy.
2 of 10
GOD the Son
- Other Christians belive God created the universe in the form of the big bang.
- God created all matter
- 15 billion years ago God chose to explode this matter.
- Then forces acted on it and turned this matter in to stars and planets.
- As a result our solar system was formed.
- God caused chemical reactions on earth and evolution so that life including humans was created.
3 of 10
GOD the Son
- Second person of the trinity= Jesus
- God became human as Jesus (incarnation)
- Jesus had a human birth but not conception.
- Therefore Jesus is both man and God.
- Jesus was Christ.
- Anonted by God
- To show the nature of God
- Set an example.
- Jesus was crucified.
- Removed power from sin.
- Humans can now go to heaven.
- Jesus rose from the dead (resurection).
- After three days.
- Forty days later acended in to heaven.
- Jesus was both man and God as only God can rise from dead.
4 of 10
Sin and Salvation
- Jesus will return.
- To judge the living and the dead.
- Jeus is the head of the Church.
5 of 10
GOD the Holy Spirit
- Third person of the trinity=Holy Spirit.
- Purifies from sin.
- Communicates with humans.
- Symbol=wind (the power of god)
- Inspires Christians.
- Inpired the bible.
- Bringer of Peace.
- Showed God was at peace with the world (Noah's Ark)
6 of 10
- Gifts of the HS:
- Special Gifts:
- Speaking in tounges.
7 of 10
Sin and Salvation
- Sin=Going against God's will.
- Separates people from God.
- All people commit sin.
- All are born in original sin.
- Jesus death removed power from sins.
- Salvation=Bringing back to God through forgiving there sins.
- Salvation comes through the power of Jesus to forgive sins.
- Forgiveness of Sins is brought about by:
- Reconciliation (Confession, penance and absolution).
8 of 10
- Two main Christian values:
- Love of God.
- Love of Neighbour.
- Parable of the Good Samaritan:
- A Jew was traveling from Jerusalem to Jericho.
- Attacked by robbers.
- Jewish priest was no help.
- A Levite was no help.
- A Samaritan (sworn enemy of the Jews) helped
- Took him to an inn and payed for his care.
- Shows Christians that their neighbour is everyone no matter of race or religion.
9 of 10
- The Parable of the Sheep and the Goats:
- At the end of the world Jesus will come and separate the good from the bad.
- The good will be sent to heaven because:
- They fed the hungry.
- They clothed the naked.
- They looked after the stranger.
- They visited the sick and the prison.
- Because they helped the lowest they helped Jesus.
- The Evil will go to hell because they did not do this.
- This tells Christians to love their neighbour and help those in need.
10 of 10