- Created by: Charlottejohn
- Created on: 09-12-14 21:23
The Boer War background
- Middle classes have grown considerably and lower classes are enfranchised.
- Factory reforms have made working conditions much better
- womens rights and education are now much more openly discussed
- In 1899 the majority of the public think that the British Empire is a force for good; 1/3 of humanity currently being ruled by the British Empire.
- Dutch farmers settle in South Africa (the Boers) and in 1815 British possession of Capetown is confirmed during the Napolienic war.
- In 1840 The Voortreckers (dutch) established their own 2 free states: The Transvaal and the Orange Free State.
- Zulu war takes place in 1879-80.
- The first Boer war took place in 1881; British defeat at Majuba Hill. The British were going to grant independence anyway but the Boers see this as a victory.
- Gold discovered in the Transvaal in 1886.
- September 1899- British Ultimatum for equality in terms of rights for Uitlanders (British immigrants in the Transvaal) Boer Ultimatum in October 1899- removal of British authority from the Transvaal or war.
1 of 1