- Created by: kikipatel
- Created on: 31-01-17 09:52
List 6 advantages of the use of microorganisms
1. There are no welfare issues.
2. There is a large range of microorganisms able to carry out different chemical reactions.
3. GM allows us to artificially manipulate microorganisms to carry out synthesis reaction they would not normally do i.e. human insulin
4. Microorganisms have a short life cycle and rapid growth rate so given optimal conditions large quantities of microorganisms can be produced in a short amount of time
5. Nutrient requirements are often cheap and simple so waste by-products from other reactions.
6. The conditions needed to grow microorganisms are low temperature supply of oxygen, food and the removal of waste gases they provide their own catalysts in the form of enzymes so it is much cheaper compared to non-biological industrial processes