Most common tricyclics and SSRI's.
Short term (4-6 weeks).
- Significant advantage in severely depressed individuals
- Less useful when given to children
- Concern about safety - increase suicidal thoughts in vulnerable people. Twice as likely to attempt suicide compared to placebo group.
- Increased risk among adolescents but over 65 have protective effect against suicide attempts.
1 of 2
Quicker results so less risk of suicide.
- Significantly better results than sham ECT
- Psychological and physical side effects
- Unilateral less likely to cause psychological side effects
2 of 2