Key Words Required For The Exam
Drugs - substances that alter the way the body works.
Prescription - where your doctor decides if you should have a drug or not.
Addiction - a physical need for a drug that, if not supplied, will result in withdrawal symptoms.
Withdrawal symptoms - symptoms caused by suddenly stopping taking a drug you are addicted to; these include shaky hands, nausea, and headaches.
Tolerance - where the body gets used to having a drug, and so needs a higher dose to give the same effect.
Rehabilitation - help and support to overcome an addiction to drugs.
Examples of depressants;
Effect of depressants;
- decrease brain activity
- slows down responses
- poor judgement of speed and distance
Examples of stimulants;
Effects of stimulants;
- increase brain activity
- makes you feel more alert
- makes you feel more awake
- often used to treat depression
Examples of painkillers;
Effect of painkillers;
- reduce amount of painful stimuli at nerve endings
- this reduces overall pain
Examples of performance enhancers;
- anabolic steroids
Effects of performance enhancers;
- helps build muscle
- allows you to train harder
- used by athletes
Examples of hallucinogens;
Effects of hallucinogens;
- distort what is seen and heard
- alter the pathways that the brain sends messages along