Developing new medicines
- New drugs have to be throughly tested before they are sold as medicines
- Drugs are tested to see if they work, to find out if they are toxic and to see if they cause side effects
- Thalidomide was developed as a sleeping drug but not tested for preventing morning sickness, so some babies had birth defects.
How effective are medicines?
- Statins are drugs which lower blood chloesterol levels.Their use has lowered cardiovascular diesease in the population by over 40%
- Double blind trials should be used to check…