- He was asked to investigate the effcts on children who were being cared for n orphanges or similar places
- His research had shown that meeting a childs physical needs where not good enough they were being psyhologically damaged as they didnt have their mothers.
- He investgated more and found out that most children were suffring from early sepration from the first 2 years of life.
Primary care givers
Children need to have a strong stable relationship with their primary care givers. Bowlby thought that a child's relationship with their mothers is the most improtant one.
Attachment is instinctive babies must from an attachment by the age of 2 years.
Separation distress-there are three reponses babies can have afer separated
Protest-crys loudly angry
Detachment-doesn't care they have been left
- His experiement found that regradless of which 'mother' fed the monkey he would always go back to the 'cloth mother'.
- The monkey felt safe with the cloth mother
- He blasted air at the monkey while on the cloth mother but it would always go back.
- Built on Bowlby works
- She conducted experiements on how children reacted when being left with strangers.
Type A- anxious avoidant baby ignore parent and shows little sign of distress when parent leaves, baby ignores parent on return and dislikes being alone but id comforted by the stranger.
Type B- securely attached baby plays whist parent is present, shows distress when parent leaves, cries when alone, partly comforted by stranger, comforted by parent
Type C- anxious resistant baby is wary, very distressed when parent leaves, resists stranger, wants immediate contact with parent but shows anger