* Surrounded by Nuclear Membrane or envelope which contains many pores.
* Contains chromatin and nucleolus.
* The chromatin contains the DNA (genetic material) which controls the cell's activities.
* The pores allow substances (E.g. RNA) to move between the nucleus and the cytoplasm.
* The nucleolus makes RNA
* Have a double membrane - Inner is folded to form Cristae.
* Inside Cristae is the Matrix, which contains enzymes involved in respiration.
* Site of respiration, where ATP is produced
* Found in large numbers in active cells which need a lot of energy
* A system of membranes enclosing a fluid-filled space
* Surfaced is covered in ribosomes
* Transports proteins that have been made in the ribosomes
* Similar to rough but with no ribosomes
* Transports Lipids around the cell
* Small, hair-like structures on the surface membrane of some animal cells
* Outer Membrane and a ring of 9 pairs of microtubules inside. One pair of microtubules in the middle
* Microtubules allow cilia to move
* Movement moves substances along the cell surface
* A very small organelle either floating free inthe the cytoplasm or attached to the RER
* The site where proteins are ma
Chloroplast (Plant Cell)
* Small flattened structure found in the plant cells
* Surrounded by a double membrane
* Thylakoid membranes inside membrane. These are stacked to form grana
* Grana are linked together by lamellae - thin flat pieces of thylakoid membrane
* The site of photosynthesis
* Light-dependant in Grana
* Light-independant in Stroma
* Round organelle surrounded by a membrane
* No clear internal structure
* Contains digestive enzymes used to digest invading cells
* Also used to destroy the cell when it needs to be replaced
Cell Membrane + Cytoskeleton
* Made mainly of protein and lipids
* Regulates the movement of substances in and out of the cells.
* Has receptor molecules on it which allow it to respond to chemicals like hormones.
Spindles + Centrioles
* Small, hollow cylinders
* Contain a ring of microtubules, seen in animal cells during cell division
* Packages the substances that are produced by the cell, mainly proteins and glycoproteins.
* Also makes lysosomes
* Group of smooth endoplasmic reticulum containing flattened sacs. Vesicles are seen at the edge of these sacs
* Involved in the seperation of chromosomes during cell division.