Slides in this set
Facts about Etna
· An active stratovolcano on the east coast of Sicily Italy.
· The highest of the 3 active volcanoes in Italy (Vesuvius and Stromboli)
· The tallest active volcano in Europe at 3,329m (10,922 ft).
· Etna covers an area of 1,190km2 with a base circumference of 140km.
· Volcaninc activity at Etna first start around half a million years ago.
· The last eruption was in January 2012.…read more
· Eruptions started as early as January 5th.
· The area consisted of very frequent and reasonable explosions.
· Ejections very visible at night and during the day puffs or dark ash were visible,
these rose to heights of around 50m
· Lava fountains spewed out of the volcanic vents.
· As a result of the eruption, it led to a temporary delay in flights going over the
· Sicily is the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea.
· It has a population of about 5.2 million people.
· 25% of this population risk living on the slopes of Mount Etna.
· Reasoning for this is because of the extremely rich and fertile soil associated with
the volcano slopes.…read more