Slides in this set
· Resources Raw materials, Investment
capital reduced industrial production to 2/3
of 1914 level.
· Inflation high.
· Transport System Crippled.
· Hunger Grain supplies 13 million tonnes
less than nations needs.…read more
Dissolution of the Constituent
Results of the November Elections. Returns go badly for Bolsheviks.
Bolsheviks forcibly disperse the Assembly.
-Assembly would be a brake on Bolsheviks power.
- Elections condemned as corrupt bourgeois manipulation.
-The Soviet Government already expressed the will of the people.
REACTION TO DISOLUTION
Criticised by some Bolsheviks in Russia
Widely condemned by international revolutionaries.…read more
Policies and Changes
· Decree of Land no private ownership .
· Decree of Workers authorising unions.
· Banks/railways nationalised
· Foreign debts cancelled
· Old legal system abolished Peoples Courts.
· An armistice followed by peace treaty, with Germany. Brest-Litovsk.
1/3 of European Russia.45 million people. Grain source. 3 billion
roubles war reparations. International Revolutionary - Loyalty.
· Red Army founded.
· Bolsheviks Party re-titled Communist Party.
· Schools under state control.
· Cheka better organised and more efficient Okrana
· Poland War…read more
REASONS FOR WAR
Reds Needed military victory to consolidate their hold on Russia. Lenin
welcomed it looking for a showdown.
Whites War the only way to challenge Bolshevik absolutism. Foreign
Green Fighting for national independence.
Fighting a defensive Controlled the railway
war against disunited network
Showed greater sense
of purpose Higher morale
Trotsky's Red Army proved invincible
IMPACT OF THE WAR ON BOLSHEVIKS ENCOURAGED : TOUGHNESS,
AUTHORITARIANISM & CENTRALISATION.…read more