Slides in this set
Location and Background
· Longest river in the USA
· Flows through 10 states
· 3800km long
· Has 100 major distributaries
· Flows from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico
· Drainage basin covers 1/3 of the USA…read more
· 217 people died in the 1927 flood.
· The natural levees of sand and silt built up on
the banks of the river were not enough as the
river was thought to be "untameable".
· The water level was already higher than the
height of the levees.…read more
Why did it flood?
· Increased demand for what are now necessities e.g.
central heating had led to an enlarged amount of fossil
fuels burnt thus more greenhouse gases in the
atmosphere unpredictable weather
· Decomposition of waste tips rise in temperature rise
in sea levels.
· Urban sprawl
· Straightening/shortening the channel.…read more