Slides in this set
· Aid given to escaping slaves was a federal crime
$1,000 fine and 6 months in prison.
· Omitted constitutional guarantees e.g. trial-by-
· Federal marshals able to raise posses to catch
fugitive slaves on northern soil.
· $10 for every conviction / $5 for every acquittal.
· Commanded public assistance "whenever their
services may be required."…read more
Reactions - North
In terms of population
· Minority price to pay
· Abolitionists outrageous
· Moderates morally
It created new opponents, because the idea of legalised kidnapping was
Nine northern states passed personal liberty laws in the 1850s.
Vigilance Committees aided slave escapes to Canada.…read more
Important Northern Reactions
· Harriet Beecher Stowe Uncle Tom's Cabin
· Jerry McHenry 1851 Slave Rescues
· Shadrach Minkins 1852
· Newspapers and posters often displayed
outrage to the Fugitive Slave Act.…read more