Slides in this set
Taxonomic Classification of
· Linneaus created the first
according to their visible
similarities & differences.
· The name of a species is it's
genus and species.
· Genus species
· Homo sapiens
· Animalia Multicellular eukaryotes that are
heterotrophs. Energy is obtained as ready-made organic
molecules by ingesting material from other organisms.
· Plantae Multicellular eukaryotes that are autotrophs.
Energy is obtained by photosynthesis.
· Fungi Multicellular eukaryotes that are heterotrophs.
Nutrients are absorbed from decaying matter.
· Protoctista Eukaryotes that photosynthesise or feed on
· Prokaryote - Prokaryotic organisms including bacteria.…read more
· Woese pioneered RNA sequencing of bacteria noticing
that the methanogens completely lacked the sequences of
· Supported his ideas with additional evidence such as
membrane lipids that differs from eukaryotes.
· He proposed the Archaea, surviving in extreme
environments before oxygen was in the atmosphere.
· Many scientist dismissed his work.
· Kandler accepted Woese's work and was able to influence
other scientists who then found evidence for this theory.…read more