First 282 words of the document:
Item C3c: Covalent bonding and the Structure of the Periodic Table
1. Using a periodic table, write down the names of elements that are present in the following
compounds. For each element state have many atoms are present the first one has been done
H2O 2x hydrogen 1x oxygen
NH4NO3 2x hydrogen 1x oxygen 1x oxygen
CaCO3 1x calcium 1x carbon 3x oxygen
CaCl2 1x calcium 2x chlorine
H2 2x hydrogen
Cl2 2x chlorine
Cu (OH)2 1x copper 2x oxygen 2x hydrogen
CuCO3 1x copper 1x carbon 3x oxygen
Al2 (SO4)3 2x aluminium 3x sulphur 12x oxygen
2. Look at the following formulae of some compounds. Choose your answers
Choose all your answers from the five formulae above.
Each formula can be used once, more than once, or not at all.
(a) Write down the formula that contains 4 elements. E
(b) Write down the formula that is made up of 5 atoms. B
(c) Write down the formula that is a hydrocarbon. C
3. There are two types of bonding:
4. Nonmetals combine together by sharing electrons and this is called covalent
5. Look at the following diagrams, which shows examples of covalent bonding. Chlorine is a
nonmetal. Chlorine exists as Cl2.
Two chlorine atoms share two electrons between the atoms. (One electron coming from each
atom). This arrangement is called covalent bonding. Also see carbon dioxide molecule. That
carbon atoms in the middle shares four electrons, two coming from carbon and two from oxygen.
Other pages in this set
Here's a taster:
Chlorine molecule carbon dioxide molecule
6. Carbon dioxide as a gas with a low melting point.
Water as a liquid with a low melting point.
7. Carbon dioxide and water do not conduct electricity.
8. Use the periodic table to answer these questions:
a. writedown name of an element which is in the same period as calcium
b. Write down the name of an element which is in the same group as calcium
c. Write down the name of an element in group 3
Here's a taster:
Draw the electronic shell structure for these atoms: Na O Ne ( you have to use the
2:8:8:2 electronic arrangement. ( The middle circle represents the nucleus, do not add electrons
16. An atom has the electronic arrangement 2:8:5 .
a. which group is this atom belongs to? 5