Slides in this set
What is a drug?
· A drug is a chemical substance that you
take into your body to add an effect which
changes your mood or the way you feel.
· There are four types of drugs:-
4. Analgesics…read more
Kinds of drugs in more depth
affect the central nervous system
increases brain activity
e.g. cigarettes, amphetamines and cocaine
slow down brain activity
e.g. alcohol and solvents
change your senses
gives impression that things are there when they're not
e.g. LSD, magic mushrooms and cannabis
e.g. aspirin, paracetamol and heroin…read more
Drug laws in UK
· Legal drugs are sold under controlled conditions in
pharmacies and supermarkets.
· Some are sold over the counter top for over 18's,
others require prescription.
· Some non prescription drugs are legally available
(alcohol and tobacco) but are still subject to strict
· Illegal drugs are classified according to how
dangerous they are.
· Police have legal rights to stop and search
someone if they suspect them of carrying illegal
· Punishments include cautions, fines and…read more
Alcohol laws in UK
· Children under 16 are not allowed in bars/pubs
unless accompanied by an adult.
· Under 18's are not allowed in pubs.
· Only exception is when a 16 or 17 year old is
having a meal with someone over 18.
· Alcohol can be served 24 hours a day in licensed
· It is illegal for under 18's to buy or try to buy
· It is illegal for anyone to buy or try to buy alcohol
on behalf of someone under 18.
· A license is needed that can be granted by the
local authority to sell alcohol.…read more