- Strengths of the HOC
- MPs can force legislative amendments from the govt.
- Every constituency can be represented by its own MP, who raises grievances in the HOC.
- MPs can call ministers to account.
- This can be effective when conducted by select committees.
- The HOC has ultimate power to remove a govt from office.
- MPs can veto legislation or threaten to do so, to force compromises (under exceptional circumstances).
- Various interest and cause groups are represented by MPs.
Similar Government & Politics resources: