- Created by: Saniya8888
- Created on: 21-04-18 18:46
- WEAKNESS: a large sample is needed. not Representative
- STRENGTH: everyone stands an equal chance in being selected, easy for large populations.
- like picking a name out of a hat.
- STRENGTH: useful for researching hard to contact groups
- WEAKNESS: very time consuming so only small samples are used, not representative
- a small group asked to suggest further names and so on.
- WEAKNESS: it is more time consuming, need sampling frame (list of everyone)
- STRENGTH: the sample will be representative and give the point of view of all different groups
- making the selection in proportion to the total population.
- WEAKNESS: only the people on the register stand a chance of being selected
- STRENGTH: the participants will be a cross section of the population so hopefully will be represensitive
- example: every 10th name on list.
- Quota Sample
- STRENGTH: it is quick and easy to select the right sort of people for it
- WEAKNESS: research is likely to be biased as the researcher has chosen the participents
- like stratified sampling but more bias. based on target age, gender ect.
- Random Sampling