- Methods of Analysis
- Some rely on machinery and some rely on chemical analysis
- Paper chromatography is used on coloured substances for example the coloured pigments in plants or the colour in food additives.
- This works because not all substances can bond with paper, so don't travel as far up the page. However, some substances dissolve well in liquidsso travel further up the paper.
- If they are a similar colour and travel a similar distance up the page, they are likely to be the same substance
- Instrumental methods of analysis: These rely on machines. Soem are better for detecting or identifying elements, whereas others are better for compounds.
- Machinery is: Fast, Accurate (They reliably identify elements and compounds,
- Sensitive- they can detect small amounts of substances in a small sample