- Created by: sof98
- Created on: 25-02-15 09:27
- In meiosis, DNA replication is followed by two rounds of cell division to produce four daughter cells with half the number of chromosomes as the original parent cell.
- The two meiotic divisions are known as meiosis I andmeiosis II.
- In meiosis 1, homologous chromosomes pair with each other and can exchange genetic material in a process called chromosomal crossover.
- Meiosis II is the second part of the meiotic process, also known as equational division. Mechanically, the process is similar to mitosis, though its genetic results are different.
- The four main steps of Meiosis II are: Prophase II, Metaphase II, Anaphase II, and Telophase II.
- Before meiosis begins, during S phase of the cell cycle, the DNA of each chromosome is replicated so that it consists of two identical sisters chromatids attached to a centromere