- How were the serfs emancipated?
- They had to pay redemption payments that lasted 49 years
- Their debts had a -6% interest rate
- Payments were often greater than actual land value.
- They had to stay within the commune until all the payments had been made.
- Peasants had to wait two years while state peasants had to wait five.
- Peasants were allowed to own their own land and property
- They had the right to marry, travel and set up their own buisiness
- To the landowners that lost out, the compensation was usually much higher than the actual worth of the land.
Similar History resources: