- Extended metaphor- the dad is the harmonium, old, at the end of it's time.
- Personification-the harmonium is a person "lost its tongue", "yellowed the fingernails". decay- loss of colour, "aged" gives it an ancient feel. "laid on its back" like a corpse.
- Dad has accepted his own death, "next box", " his own dead weight".
- Dad is ill- cancer? "tobacco smog" and "smoker's fingers"
- Poem written in free verse- no structure, speaking his mind, flash back to a memory.
- Harmonium is a tradition- "father and son each in their time".
Similar English Literature resources: