- Great Gatsby - Context
- International Theme: Great Gatsby is about being American, everything American - American dream, liberties... Wanted the book to be entitled "Under the Red, White, and Blue"
- Jazz Age and Flappers: Fitzgerald a leading chronicler of the Jazz Age - 1920s America. Pursuit of pleasure after WWI, women living more liberates lives than ever before. Yet Jordan Baker does not fit this image despite being independent
- Prohibition: 1920-1933: prohibited by law. Jay Gatsby said to have made money through illegal bootlegging according to rumour and Tom Buchanan. Ch:4 - Meyer Wolfshiem,
- Male Dominance: Women not granted the vote until 1920 - patriarchal society
- Alcohol - addictive: Fitzgerald was addicted to alcohol - contributed to his early death - experience and knowledge in this area
- Status: Clear difference between East Egg > West Egg. Gatsby and Nick will be never be as good as East Egg, Gatsby originated in a place like the Valley of Ashes
Similar English Literature resources: