- culture and relationships
- western voluntarily mix with large numbers of strangersvoluntary/non voluntary relationships urban life mobile geographically and socially >greater pool of potential relationship, Non western countries , less urban areas less mobility, less choice
- individualist/ collectivist freedom of choice /concerns of family/group Moghaddam
- response to loneliness seepersad suggested young western adults experience more loneliness cf to non western cultures emphasise on romantic relationships Korean students rely more on family satisfy social network needs cf us students friends and significant others.
- romantic love or arranged marriage arranged marriages Levine 11 cultures questionnaire found higher collectivist cultures cf to indiv marry in absence of love.love = luxury