- Biomass and Numbers
- Biomass pyramids are almost always pyramid shaped because biomass is lost at each stage in the food chain.
- To construct a pyramid of biomass you use the dry biomass of the organisms.
- You dry out all the water from the organism before weighing.
- Measuring dry biomass can be difficult because you have to kill the organism to work it out.
- It can be difficult to construct an accurate pyramid of biomass because some organisms feed at more than one trophic level.
- Each bar on a pyramid of numbers show the number of organisms at that stage of the food chain, not their mass.
- pyramids of numbers can be other shapes.