1. Murray argues that the rise of the underclass is caused by what?
- The lack of female role models within a family.
- Easy access to unhealthy fastfood chains.
- The generosity of the welfare state.
- Children spending too much time in education, as they don't gain a greater experience of reality.
1 of 13
Other questions in this quiz
2. Rational choice theory is argued by which sociologist?
3. Within Environmental Crime Prevention, it's argued that the police should tackle...
- Criminals who have a known history for committing crime.
- Vandalism by engaging in conflict with those who they suspect of being anti-social or criminal.
- All types of crime, not just the most serious types.
- Crime in London, rather than crime elsewhere.
4. A criticism of rational choice theory is that...
- Some crimes are impulsive, so no calculation is used.
- It wasn't a legitimate theory so doesn't deserve any recognition.
- Many working class people don't understand what choice actually means.
- Consumerism is to blame for crime.
5. In broken windows theory, rowdiness needed to be challenged or vandalism would increase. But what was controversially argued within this theory?
- No effort should be put into inner-city areas where crime is too bad, so police need to focus on places where there is 'still hope
- It was argued that the rowdiness can be unchallenged, as vandalism does decrease typically after a year or so.
- Broken windows is no longer an appropriate name for the theory, as windows can't be broken nowadays.
- The police were accused of 'helping' vandals by ignoring all crime.