1. Did Merton believe everyone could achieve these goals?
- Yes, if you include deviant and criminal means
- No, he was aware not everyone shared the same goals, in a stratified society the goals are linked to a person's position in society - lower down had restricted goals
- No, he was aware not everyone shared the same goals, in a stratified society the goals are linked to a person's position in society - higher up had restricted goals
- DON'T STOP BELIEVING!
1 of 14
Other questions in this quiz
2. Who made strain theory?
- Silph Co
3. How many different ways do people respond to the strain?
4. Another crit?
- Young (The Vertigo of Late Modernity) - Contradiction of consumer culture and institutes that fail to deliver such success to majority leads to anomie and violent crime
- Taylor, Walton & Young - Theory cannot explain politically motivated crime where law broken for cause (eg rich workers stop system changing to benefit poor)
- Reiner - Theory cannot be adapted to take crits into account - Not all crimes indirectly related to status
- Critical hit for headshot -300hp
5. What did Merton see the goal of society as?
- Harmony and equality above all else - Achieve these through talking and reconciliation
- As 3 big hoops in the pitch that you throw the Quaffle into!
- Economic and material wealth above all else - Achieve these through hard work and educational achievement
- Emotional and material wealth above all else - Achieve these through money and educational achievement