1. How is crime a rational response to unequal capitalist society?
- All values promote wealth, individualism, ownership of property, competition
- It isn't...unless, I do really want an Xbox...hmmm ;)
- Through agencies (Education, media, religion), hegemony, false class concsciousness
- All structural systems exist to maintain power of Bourgeoisie, agents of social control make laws to control and punish w/c
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. How are Marxists criticised?
- Assumes ruling class have all power, not always true
- They assume communism would eradicate crime, not true in Soviet Union
- Capitalism doesn't always have high crime rates, Switzerland doesn't
- With the bullets of oppression the upper classes fire endlessly!
3. What is an aspect of false-class conciousness that deals with crime?
- Hypno brainwashes peeps to be crime fighting Pokemon!
- Commitement to laws by members of society as they are made to help ruing class
- Believing in meritocracy
- Believing what you read in the media
4. What is the adapted version of Marxism?
- The 2017 film
- Neo-Marxism - They try to apply Marxist ideas to current society,they focus on other factors than class (eg Media in Cohen's Folk devils study)
- Postmodern Marxism - Believes class doesn't exist anymore but that the powerful want it to
- Feminist Marxism - Patriachary is seen in all parts of society
5. What do Left Realists think of the Neo-Marxist view of crime and deviance?
- They think its bad but too polite to say anything!
- Left idealism - Most crime doesnt help poor people, usually by and against them, most subcultures don't mean to be resisting capitalism
- Left idealism - Most crime does help poor people, usually by and not against them, most subcultures do mean to be resisting capitalism
- Right idealism - Most crime doesnt help poor people, usually by and against them, most subcultures don't mean to be resisting capitalism