1. Who argued that gender socialisation takes place in 4 main ways?
- Ann Oakley
- Niaomi Wolf
1 of 16
Other questions in this quiz
2. Define gender roles?
- The ability to perfom tasks that would be seen as incorrect for the individuals gender.
- The process whereby we learn to perform the socially accepted characteristics for a given gender.
- Being a woman and doing the cleaning.
- Being a man and working.
3. What is this defining?- the social, cultural and psychological aspects of being either male or female.
4. What is gender identity?
- Being masculine or feminine
- The psychological label we apply to ourselves when we say 'i am a man' or 'i am a woman'
- Whether we are male or female
- Knowing what gender you are
5. What is canalisation?
- Children are encouraged to involove themselves in different activities. e.g. boys and outdoors
- Parents encourge behaviour which is seen as normal for the child's sex and discourage what is seen as deviant.
- Channelling the child's interests into toys and activities seen as normal for his or her sex.
- Names that children are called which each them to identify with the appropriate gender. e.g. good girl